Child has fever, cold, pain in eye, loss of appetite and walking difficulty. What is causing this?

Hi my 8 year old daughter has had a raised temperature of between 38 and 39 degress for the last 4 days only other symptoms are a slight cold, last night she started complaining of pain in her right eye especially when looking up. Today she is experiencing pain in her calfs which is making it difficult for her to walk. She has a reduced appetite but is still eating and drinking and seems bright enough in herself, do you think I should carry on watching her or is this starting to warrant a visit to the gp?
Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 24 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

I am sorry that your daughter feels unwell.

With a history of peri-orbital pain (painful eyes), muscle pain and fever, along with other symptoms suggestive of a cold, it is possible that she has the flu virus and not the cold virus.
The viruses that are usually associated with the common cold ,in general, are not associated with joint or muscle pain and peri-orbital pain.
In most persons the flu symptoms can be treated with fluids, rest, pain and fever killers such as paracetamol and any medication that may be necessary for the other symptoms (nasal congestion, cough).
It is usually best with children, however, to have them assessed because they may need a little extra help to get better, so if possible, it would be best to take her to her GP.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions