Child has fever, cold and started vomiting. Tested negative for flu and strep. What's going on?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello. My two and a half year old came down suddenly with a fever at Midnight Friday. Excessive chills leading her to shiver. The fever was 102.9F. She screamed quite a bit with discomfort, then vomited a bright yellow substance up at 3AM. Later that morning (9AM) while in a coughing fit, she threw up a yellow substance again. She was unable to tell us if she was in pain and what was wrong. We took her to the pediatrician at 1045AM. He tested for strep (negative) the flu (negative) and took a urine sample and found nothing out of the ordinary. He advised to watch and see, seemed puzzled by the bright yellow vomit. She slept most of the rest of the day, ate a little bit of cereal and a banana and drank some water.The fever finally subsided around 3AM Saturday morning. She did throw up the same bright yellow substance during the night after coughing. Today she ate rather well, XXXXXXX juice, cereal, water, fish sticks, some chicken. She is up and moving around, much like herself. However, she has had terrible gas and has passed incredibly foul smelling (out of the ordinary) stool twice this evening between 5PM and 9PM. Her nose seems to be getting runny. I am wondering what in the world is going on? Is this virus both upper respiratory and gastro? Thank you for your help.
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 30 minutes later
Yes your child's symptoms do resemble that of a viral infection causing bilious ( yellowish vomiting and respiratory symptoms. There are many viruses which can cause multisystemic manifestations however most of them are self limiting and resolve in a week or two. The treatment would be mainly supportive including analgesics for fever and malaise and antiemetic for vomiting , decongestant for respiratory symptoms.
I would also suggest a probiotic ( enterogermina) and zinc supplements for faster relief
I would also suggest getting a complete blood count and stool analysis to further help in confirming the diagnosis. If symptoms persist a course of antibiotics might be needed to prevent bacterial superinfection .
Meanwhile make sure to keep your child well hydrated with plenty of fluids .
Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if you have any further doubts.