Child has fever, black-brown mucus, loose motion. Given Calpol and Darolac. Please advise

Hi my 5.6 yrs old daughter is suffering from fever fluctuating from 100 to 102.9 along with black-brown mucusos lose motion (6-7 times) since today morning. For fever we are giving 7.5 ml calpol 250mg after every four hours and for lose motion we have started giving Darolac XXXXXXX but still she is passing blackish mucous lose stoll and even fever is also fluctuating.. Please advice.. Regards, XXXXXX
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 48 minutes later

From your description it appears that, your child probably has a gastrointestinal infection that leads to fever with black brown mucus stools.

These infections are mostly due to viruses called rotavirus and may be due to some bacteria. It can persist for several days to week. It is detected by routine stool examination. He also needed routine blood investigation like complete blood count to see type of infection.

What we physicians are concerned is whether there is dehydration or not..

So please follow the advices-
1.     Give him plenty of water with ORS.
2.      Blunt diet.
3.     He may need a course of antibiotics with probiotics.
4.     Continue paracetamol (calpol) and Darolac XXXXXXX
5.     Follow him for development of any warning sign of dehydration-lethargy, irritability, decreased frequency and amount of urination, dry tongue, shrunken eye, pale extremities etc.

I advise you to get him examined by a Pediatrician at the earliest, get the investigation done and managed accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and write a review.
Wish your child a speedy recovery
Dr Sourav Ganguly