Child has fever associated with a faster heart beat. Cause and cure?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My two and a half year old has a 101 fever and his heart beat seems fast. Should I worry?
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
Fever associated with a faster heart beat is normally seen in viral illness. If there is no associated sore throat or cold or signs of infection anywhere in the body then taking tylenol and giving him a good supportive treatment will help in controlling the viral infection in 3-5 days.
Follow the supportive measures mentioned below to see beneficial response.
1. Cold sponges might be helpful to reduce the body temperature.
2. Give cold fluids orally in unlimited amounts (reason: good hydration replaces sweat and improves heat loss via skin).
3. Dress in 1 layer of light weight clothing and sleep with 1 light blanket (avoid bundling). (Caution: overheated kids can't undress themselves.)
4. Drink boiled and properly filtered water.
5. Increase fluid intake – glucose water, soups, fresh juices, coconut water.
6. Diet must be planned judiciously to provide good dose of vitamins especially vitamin A and vitamin C as these are essential for the regenerative purpose.
7. High fluid and soft diet in small frequency is recommended.
8. Food must be appetizing and made after considering the likes and dislikes of the patient.
9. Fatty, highly fibrous and very spicy foods should be avoided as they are hard to digest.
You might consult a pediatrician who can examine him and prescribe the proper antibiotics and supportive medications.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.