Child has fever and loss of appetite. Treated for ear infection and bronchitis. Given tylenol

My son is 2 years old and woke up from a nap with a fever of 102 and has goopy stuff coming from his one eye. He refused to eat anything this evening and only drank a little. Last week he was treated for a ear infection and bronchitis. Should I take him to be seen. I gave him Tylenol and he spit it out. He is currently sleeping.
Posted Sun, 31 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 51 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Conjunctivitis is not normally associated with a fever and is likely a coincidental finding.
In some viral illnesses, there may be co existing infection of the eye, it usually occurs when the little one rubs their hands in the eyes.

The most common cause for fever in a young child is a viral illness particularly common cold unless there is indication otherwise.
These illnesses would be associated with a loss of appetite and decreased energy.
Unless he is in distress at the moment it would be best to let him rest, sleep is an important part of recovery.
While he is sleeping try to keep him as cool as possible , by air conditioning or the use of a fan on him.
When he wakes up, if he is still febrile then try to give him the medication again, combine it with a very small amount of another liquid that he is likely to drink or divide it and give it in small amounts.
Use tepid spounging with tap water and minimal clothing. Give him cool liquids only, do not about the solid food , liquids are more important and a return in appetite can be used as an indicator that he feels better.
Wipe of any discharge in the eye with clean cotton wool or another clean disposable cloth.

He may develop adcitional symptoms that would point to the source of the fever.

If the temperature remains significantly elevated in the am then you can consider taking him to see his doctor to see if his infections have recurred.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions