Child has fever and had insect bites, prescribed Bactrim and given Motrin. Suggest?

My 2 year old daughter at up to 102.5 today. No other symptoms (besides some insect bites). The urgent care Dr said ears and throat looked fine but was concerned over the bites...he prescribed Bactrim. 9pm my daughter was approaching 100 fever, so I gave her 1 tsp of Motrin. I've checked her temp twice in the night at it's been 96.5. I've never seen that on her before so I'm crying/scared. She's seems comfortable and is sleeping. Help!
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
sponging , nutrition, hydration

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to us.

Do not be worried, as you have mentioned in your query that the fever has touched the baseline of 96.5 suggests that your kid is on the improvement phase.

I would expect the fever to recur every 6 or 5 hrs once over the next 48 hrs, so please have a close watch on the temperature and maintain a temperature chart.

Once the temperature reaches above 98.6 deg f, give the medicine your doctor has prescribed.

Above all the child should be sponged with warm water from head to toe every time she gets a fever to prevent febrile seizures.

Take care of her nutrition and hydration.

If the fever is continuous and not touching the baseline , or if it is present for more than 3 days, or if the child seems lethargic, appearance of rashes , then she will require a review with the doctor.

Hope i have cleared your query, thanks , regards.