Child has fever and gets pain while walking. Should I visit Er?

My 5 year old has had a fever ranging from 100-102 all day. He says it hurts to walk. Should I seek emergency care?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 10 minutes later

The causes of fever are many and we have to exactly identify the cause of fever. It may be viral/bacterial infections.

Inability to walk/ hurts to walk etc could be related to generalized weakness or a remote possibility of neurological involvement due to febrile illness.

Please see a pediatrician and get evaluated.

The physical examination by a pediatrician will help us guide you better regarding the cause of fever, difficulty in walking and to resolve any remote possibility of having a neurological problem.

You need not call the emergency. You may opt for an office visit.

Hope this helps.