Child has fatigue. Blood work for thyroid levels done. Have genetic mutation. Is Hashimoto's disease possible?

Pediatrician
Question
my son has had extreme fatigue and just a full blood work done - we were mainly testing for thyroid as he has previously been borderline hypo. his tests came back 4.95 for tsh and ts4 was 16.3 - we were previouslt told possible hashimoto's what do you think?. he also has a genetic mutation of xyy.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 15 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

The TSH level is within normal limits but I am unable to make out of the "ts4" that you have mentioned. Nor have you mentioned the units.

If your son had Hashimoto's thryoiditis then the TSH level should have initially been low and later high. I think you need not worry about the thyroid function test. Neverthelss get them tested once or twice a year to be on the safer side.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/gR5Oy
http://bit.ly/OpvpJu

Follow-up: Child has fatigue. Blood work for thyroid levels done. Have genetic mutation. Is Hashimoto's disease possible? 4 minutes later
Hi, thanks we have had my son tested quite a few times and the tsh has been elevating and now has been registered as high from pathology? So I am not sure why you are saying it is in normal range?

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 6 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

The normal range of TSH according to standard textbooks is 0.6-6.4 mIU/L and 4.95 is within the range. Hence I mentioned it is normal.

I hope I have clarified the position.

Rajiv