Child has faster heartbeat, asked for Echo test and told to be due to huge blood circulation. Suggest?

Pediatrist of my daughter says that her heartbeat is too fast. And has asked me to take an echo test. When I asked for the reason they suggested that it might be due to huge blood circulation. So an echo test could give an idea if they are any complications. Could you please brief me what could be the reasons and is the heart beat too fast due to some complications.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
See Cardiologist (Electro-physiologist)

Detailed Answer:
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

She should be seen by a Cardiologist...

Fast heart beats need to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG). Standard ECG records the electrical activity of the heart, for a few seconds. It can detect the arrhythmia occurring during that time only. If the episode occurs randomly, one needs Holter or event monitor.
     ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality) / clots...
     Anaemia / Anxiety / Alcohol / Tobacco (smoking) / Caffeine (too much tea, coffee, cola) / Fever / Infection / Pain / Stress / Thyroid / Vitamin D, calcium, magnesium / Medicines like Phenylephrine used for ‘cold’; Salbutamol used for asthma and so on - may be responsible.... / At times, abnormal nerve paths in the heart (bypass tracts) or disease of the conduction system may be responsible!
     If there are no clues and if the problem is still bothering to the extent of interfering with life style, there are advanced techniques of investigations of increasing complexity – Electro Physiological Studies (EPS) > it resembles angio – a catheter is put inside the heart / electrical activity recorded / stimulation and suppression tests are carried out / suitable medicine tested and so on. Though the test is the gold standard, it is INVASIVE and is not generally done unless there are compelling indications. This super-speciality expert is called ELECTRO-PHYSIOLOGIST. There are other advanced treatment modalities - like ablation (thermal or radio-frequency), which could be done during EPS.

The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck