Child has enlarged liver and spleen. No diagnosis was found after tests. What could be the cause?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
my 3year old doughter has enlarged liver and spleen since XXXXXXX 2013.In September her liver was enlarged too. Many many blood tests and specialists later, there is no diagnosis.
Posted Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 days later
Brief Answer: multiple causes to evaluate Detailed Answer: Sure Hi, There is a whole lot of conditions which cause enlarged liver and spleen. It may be due to infections Storage disorders Hemolytic anemia Last malignancies. Iam sure your doctors are working on these lines. If the basic work up,liver function tests,blood works are alright ,probably it is not serious! You need not worry. Also sometimes chronic bronchitis, etc may push down the liver and spleen. You can get a second opinion and also discuss with your doctors about what they think is the cause. Also if the child is growing well and otherwise normal,one can wait and watch.( provided all the basic work up is negative) God bless Dr uma
Follow-up: Child has enlarged liver and spleen. No diagnosis was found after tests. What could be the cause? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for the prompt answer. There is some update on my daughters condition. More test were done (urine and blood) and nothing came back positive (she was tested for liver diseases and other things). Now the doctors are pushing for a biopsy on her liver and spleen. Since nothing shows she needs this procedure I'm reluctant to give them permission to do it. Do you think that I should seek a second opinion? Are there any side effects from biopsies ? What is the recovery time and more important what are the chances of finding the cause of the enlarged liver and spleen using samples from her organs? My baby is only 3 and I'm not sure I should put her thru this procedure. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 3 hours later
Brief Answer: can go for second opinion if possible Detailed Answer: Hi I very well understand your concern! If the liver and spleen are significantly enlarged / or still increasing and all blood ,Urine tests are negative,ultimately biopsy has to be done. They will take all precautions for the procedure,give her sedation,and relatively it is a minor procedure. When there is homogenous liver enlargement, biopsy will definitely show the disease. , She may need rest for 2-3 days at home. Diagnosis is needed for future management. You can definitely get another opinion if you have the option. Also feel free to express your doubts and get all the details from your doctor. Good luck Dr Uma