Child has ear infection, runny nose, no cough, sore leg. Taken Nurofen. Does she need antibiotics?

ENT Specialist
Hi my 5yr old daughter seems to have an ear infection runny nose no cough and is complaining of he
r left leg being sore does she need antiobiotics... Her ear looks like it has bloody dried discharge i have given her nurofen for the pain.
I am making her a doc appoinment tomoro. Need some advice on what it could be if its not an ear infection
Posted Sat, 8 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 6 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Viral fevers usually start with prodromal period which includes the runny nose, ear pain and sore leg muscles before the onset of fever.

2. It is only possible to rule out ear infection by a direct examination of the ear drum. The ear pain may be a referred pain from the throat, nose or head neck region. The dried bloody discharge may be ear wax which was brought out mixed with clear ear discharge secondary to an ear infection. It may also be as a result of a child attempting to scratch the ear violently. A foreign body must be ruled out. Herpetic vesicles and childhood exanthems (rashes elsewhere on the body) must be ruled out.

3. As long as the pain and discharge is minimal, and there is no active bleeding, you may take a routine appointment tomorrow. Nurofen is fine for today.

4. At the age of five, the most important and commonest cause of a runny nose and ear infection will be enlarged adenoid tissue at the back of the nose. An X-ray will help. Does she snore at night during sleep or have mouth breathing?

5. The simplest course of action will be to get a Pediatrician's and an ENT Specialist's opinion. If these are normal, only routine medication including antibiotics, ear drops and anti-allergic decongestants is required.

6. I must emphasize that there is no cause for worry.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.