Child has dry cough, getting cold very often. How to boost her immune system?

Infertility Specialist
Dear Doctor,

This is regarding my daughter XXXXXXX who is currently having cough(Dry cough) .

also she is getting cold(cough)very often. Request you a suggestion to boost her immune system.

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for your suery. I understand your concerns about frequent cough, cold and fever in your little daughter. Let me help you as much as I can.

Most coughs and colds are caused by viruses. Many different viruses can infect the nose and throat. They are passed on by coughing and sneezing the virus into the air. An average pre-school and primary school child has 3-8 coughs or colds per year. Sometimes several coughs or colds occur one after the other. A child who lives with smokers has an increased risk of developing coughs and colds.

•The common symptoms are a cough and a runny nose. The cough is often worse at night. Coughing does not damage the lungs.
•In addition, a child may have: a raised temperature (fever), a sore throat, headache, tiredness, and be off their food. Sometimes children vomit after a bout of coughing.
•A build-up of mucus behind the eardrums may cause dulled hearing or mild earache.

There is no magic cure! Typically, symptoms are worse in the first 2-3 days, and then ease over the next few days as the immune system clears the virus. An irritating cough may linger for up to 2-4 weeks after other symptoms have gone. Antibiotics do not kill viruses, so are of no use for common coughs and colds.

Coughs and colds often do not need any treatment. Make sure your child has enough to drink (for example, water, diluted non-sweetened fruit juice, or clear soups). Dehydration (low body fluid) may develop if a child has a fever and does not drink much. Give her a clean and comfortable breathing atmosphere.

Treatment aims to ease symptoms. Paracetamol can ease aches and pains, headaches, and fever. Ibuprofen is an alternative. Both are sold in pharmacies in liquid form for children. There are various brands - ask your paediatrician if you are unsure what is suitable.

There is no immune boosting drug available for children. Some fake medicines are in market; please don’t give it to your daughter as they are XXXXXXX

I hope I answered your query. Please accept my answer if no further query.

Follow-up: Child has dry cough, getting cold very often. How to boost her immune system? 24 hours later
Thank you for your feedback.

Please note that i am requested for an Ayurvedic general medicine to boost immune system, however you have answered with the Allopathic medications which anyway we are already consulting with a Child specialist.

If you are not an Ayurvedic Specialist, Kindly direct me to the right person.

Best Regards,

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 19 minutes later

Your query has been forwarded to Ayurveda specialist.

Kindly bear with while the answer is received.

Thanking you.