Child has diarrhea, stomach cramps and bad diet. Why are stools watery? Why is she losing energy?

My 4 year old daughter has had diarrhea stomach cramps and a loss of appetite since Sunday . What should I do?She has only about 2 watery stools a day. But is barely eating anything and has alot of cramps throughout the day. She has no fever. No vomitting. She has very little energy, and she just looks sick. I'm very worried about her, she is not herself.
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

When diarrhea begins suddenly the problem is usually gastroenteritis (or stomach flu), most often caused by a virus and sometimes by bacteria and parasites.

Give her adequate fluids throughout the day. For this try replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this. Oral rehydration treatments (such as Pedialyte or Infalyte) prevent most dehydration. They are available OTC in pharmacies or grocery stores.

The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can also be given. Antimicrobial therapy is indicated for some bacterial gastroenteritis infections. However, many are self-limited and do not require therapy.

Also give her healthy, nutritious food and give it 2 hrs prior to bedtime.Also keep the head end of her bed elevated by two blocks and avoid giving a single,heavy meal. Give her food at regular intervals. If the symptoms persist then you should get her checked from her pediatrician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.