Child has diarrhea, runny nose, fever and developed red spot on back. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

6 month old has a runny nose is congested, he has diarrhea and a temp of 37 degrees. He is still eating and having milk, though not his usual appetite. He has just developed two red spots on his back. He also had his 6 month immunisation shots 10 days ago. Should I be concerned?
Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 56 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems to have a viral illness with gastroenteritis and common clod.

The red spots on his back may be a part of this viral illness.

The mainstay of treatment in diarrhea is to maintain the hydration of the child.

Give sips of oral rehydration fluids like Pedialyte after each episode of loose stool and in between the loose stools to maintain his hydration.

Monitor his hydration by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

If there is nose block, you can instill saline nasal drops one or two into each nostril to clear the block especially before feeding and sleeping.

For diarrhea oral probiotics like lactobacillus or saccharomyces and zinc can be given in prescribed dosage.

And physical examination by his Pediatrician is important to assess the child hydration status and to prescribe medication for cold and supportive medication for his diarrhea.

Nothing to worry as the child is eating and drinking milk, so try to maintain his hydration and make him comfortable by keeping nostril clear and consult the Pediatrician for further advise.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.