Child has diarrhea and low grade fever? Was it a virus? What can I do to resolve it?

My almost 3 yr old grandson has had smooshie/diarreah for over 3 wks. sometimes he has a low grade fever. But hasd.o other symptoms.Dr did not seem alarmed. Said it was a virus?? What can my daughter do to get this resolved
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 45 minutes later
Diarrhea in children is usually due to a viral infection of the intestines. Mild low grade fever is also a common association with it. Commonly it is a self limiting diarrhea which subsides on its own in 7-10 days.
To hasten the recovery, you can give some prebiotics to the child available freely at all the pharmacies. Giving him a soft and easy to digest food will also help.
Since the diarrhea is continuing for more than three weeks going for a stool culture will help in ruling out any bacterial infection as the cause.
Take care of adequate fluid replacement and avoid giving him any dairy products except for yogurt.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.