Child has diarrhea after swallowing a piece of soap. What can be done?

What can I do for my child? He swallowed some of a piece of bar of soap and is having diarrhea?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Idris Shariff 1 hour later

As I could gather from your query your child has swallowed a piece of some soap bar.

Generally most soaps are harmless, but its important that we know the contents of the swallowed product. If you have a pack of a similar soap unopened from the packaging, please look for the contents there.

The symptoms depend on the amount of soap swallowed.

If your child is just been having mild diarrhea with no other symptoms, keep giving him lots of water and fluids. He should be fine in a few hours.

Watch out for symptoms such as:
1. Vomiting
2. Convulsions
3. Decreased alertness, or
4. Severe diarrhea with dehydration (watery diarrhea more than 4-5 times a day with tiredness, dullness and lethargy).

If any of the above occurs, please take him to see your doctor immediately with a note of the contents of the swallowed soap. You might need to go to the ER if the above mentioned Red Flag symptoms occur.

Hope I have answered your query satisfactorily.

Wishing you and your child Good Health.

Best Regards,

Follow-up: Child has diarrhea after swallowing a piece of soap. What can be done? 7 hours later
He has had diarrhea for bout a week and rightbefore he does it . He says his belly hurts him. It real XXXXXXX looking. Wat sld I do. He hasn't had any trouble today w diarrhea but said his belly hurt
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Idris Shariff 8 hours later

Thanks for replying....!

In this case it woul be ideal to see your Pediatrician with the contents of the swallowed soap as mentioned to you earlier.

The pediatrician would examine him and maybe order some tests to make a diagnosis.

Tests could be something like a routine blood and urine test, a stool examination and maybe an ultrasound scan of the abdomen.

It's best for a doctor to evaluate your child clinically as its been a week of diarrhea and stomach ache.

Hope I have answered your query satisfactorily..!! Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing your child a speedy recovery.

Best Regards