Child has developed raspy voice after sore throat. Should I be worried?

ENT Specialist
my baby girl is 18 mo old and she has a bit raspy voice for 3 weeks now. it started with a sore troath and raspy voice and sore troath is gone but this raspy voice is still persistent. she had a caugh not barking one just phlegm for two nights week ago and that has stopped but this raspy voice is still here. she eats well sleeps well playing a lot. should I be worried? how long this raspy voice can last
Posted Sat, 7 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Brief Answer: As below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. The most common cause for a persistent hoarseness in an infant would be laryngitis after a sore throat. 2. If this persists for more than a couple of weeks in spite of treatment, get her examined and investigated to rule out the following rare causes: a. Vocal cord nodules, cysts, polyps or thickening. b. Vocal Cord paralysis. c. Acid Reflux. d. Laryngeal webs or papillomatosis (very rare) e. Congenital heart problems (very rare). 3. Non invasive investigations such as sonography of the neck and larynx, Imaging should be done first. Flexible endoscopy will help. I must emphasize that the majority of cases are laryngitis. I hope that I have answered your query. if you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.