Child has developed rashes on body and face and have loose stool. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My 16 month old baby has developed some rashes in her body/ face- (which comes and goes off frequently) and have loose stool (less frequent). I though I will check whether this is an urgent case requiring medical attention or can wait and watch for a couple of days. She doesn't have fever and is quite energetic
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 19 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The rash over her body and face associated with loose stool may suggestive of viral gastroenteritis.

Some times, food allergy also may present with rash and loose stools if a new food item is given.

The mainstay of treatment in loose stools is to replace the losses of water and electrolytes in loose stools by giving oral rehydration solutions (ORS) such as Pedialyte.

Monitor her hydration by her activity and play, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of oral cavity and tongue.

Give sips of oral rehydration solution (Pedialyte) to maintain her hydration.

For rash, you can apply a calamine containing lotion externally over the rash for soothing effect.

Oral probiotic and zinc will decrease the loose stools and can be added after pediatrician consultation.

If the child is active, playful, having no dehydration, nothing to worry and keep on giving sips of ORS to maintain her hydration.

If the loose motions persisting beyond 24 hours or loose motions frequency is increasing, or the child develops any signs of dehydration, consult the pediatrician for examination and for medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.