Child has developed itchy rashes on hand, leg and thigh. Suggest medication?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
my son XXXXXXXis 4 year old. he has developed rashes (photo attached). wanted to know what medications can be provided. he is not allergic. there is itching and hence it is red. there is no pus. it is seen on hand, leg and thigh.
Posted Sat, 22 Jun 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 58 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I didn't get the photo of the rash.

As the rash is itchy with redness, it is looking like an allergic skin rash.

For allergic skin rashes, application of a calamine containing lotion externally over the rash will give relief from itching and cause soothing effect on skin.

An oral antihistamine like cetirizine or hydroxyzine can be given in prescribed dose after consulting the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. And kindly attach the picture with the next query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has developed itchy rashes on hand, leg and thigh. Suggest medication? 21 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Your insights really helped. I do not know why the attachments did not get loaded. I have uploaded it under "New reports" the three photographs. Do let me know if you are able to see it. Currently we are applying "Caladryl (Calamine and diphenhydramine hydrochloride lotion)" on those and giving Levocet (levocetrizine dihydrochloride) syrup 5 ml. Hope this is fine, till we review it with the doctor sometime tomorrow

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 12 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

I received the three picture with this query and I went through them.

The rash is looking like an allergic skin rash.

You can continue the application of Caladryl lotion 8th hourly over the rash and oral Levocet syrup 5ml once daily.

And consult the pediatrician as you planned for physical examination.

Observe for any allergic factor associated with the onset of the skin rash and you can avoid if you are able to find it.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.