Ask a Dentist   »  

Child has delayed tooth eruption. Good diet plan to speed up the process?

Dentist, Pedodontics
My daughter is 15 months old now. even after a year she didnt get any teeth and doctor said she needs to have more milk and a syrup as supplement(ossopan-d). Now she got 4 teeth on the upper line but after than it has been a month and still she dont have any teeth in below line. please let me for her age how the teeth growth supposed to be and how long it will take to get a teeth in below line.

Also please suggest a good diet plan for her which is composed of all the nutrients that she is required to take.

Thanks in advance
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Amitabha Chakraborty 1 hour later
Thank you for the query. It is not unusual to have a delayed eruption in some individual, whether it is deciduous or permanent teeth. Generally this type of problem shows a familial tendency. I believe she is a normal healthy baby. if so, DO NOT WORRY AT ALL. Drinking more milk or taking vitamin D supplement will not do any help except spending little more money from your pocket. Only thing you should do that take your baby to a dentist. Get some IOPA radiograph of upper and lower jaw, front and back side to see the all remaining teeth are present inside. Orthopantomogram(OPG) would have been a better choice, but it is difficult to get an OPG of a 15 months old baby as she will not sit quiet during the procedure. Now . if all teeth are present, then it will come out in its own time. DO NOT SLICE THE GUM, AS SOME DENTIST MAY ADVICE THAT. it will not help anyway except giving pain and suffering to your baby.
There are some rare conditions where the some tooth may be absent or erupt delayed. If your baby's general general health is good and if she does all normal activities according to her age then you do not have to think at all about this delayed eruption of her teeth. It will come out in it's own time. Even the starting of eruption of teeth at 12 to 14 months are not uncommon for a normal child. At the end, if you are still little bit pathofobic about your kid, you can have a general health check up of your kid to identify whether she is having any underlying general health conditions that can cause her delayed eruption.
I am not a dietitian. But at 15 months the baby should eat normal regular diet that we eat in our home along with with 500ml of milk per day. For details you can contact a dietitian.
I hope that I have answered your queries. If yo have any further question you are most welcome to visit me in this site.