Child has dark spot on wrist, becomes lighter during sleeping, not painful. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My 8 month old baby girl developed a dark spot under the skin near her the bottom part of her wrist over the weekend. Initially, I thought it may have been a bruise, but what concerns me is that it's getting lighter while she sleeps, but then darker when she wakes and is more active. It also has a pretty solid circular shape. It's rather dark in color when at it's darkest, and when it's light, you can still see it but barely. I'm concerned at the fact that it continues to get lighter, then darker, then lighter...etc. Any idea what this could be? It doesn't appear to be causing her any pain or discomfort.

Thank you
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later

A dark spot on the skin with change in color is suggestive of a vascular malformation most likely a Capillary Hemangioma.

An increase in blood flow to the area with activity makes it darker in color whereas inactivity decreases the blood supply making it a barely noticeable spot.

Usually such vascular malformations are benign and are asymptomatic. Treatment includes blocking or ligating the main vessel responsible for the malformation.

A direct examination by a Dermatologist will help in confirming the diagnosis. You can discuss the possible treatment options with her Pediatrician on your next visit.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.