Child has dark colored loose stools since weeks. What could be causing this?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am concerning about my son he is 8years old ,he is having loos stool since tow weeks ago with maroon colour
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Is he complaining of something else such as pain, loss of apetite,fever or vomiting. If not, this would be simple enterocolitis which can last for 2 weeks and usually passes spontaneously. Maroon colour can indicate blood in stool which can be found in enterocolitis, but if you notice fresh blood in stool or pants it should be evaluated. This usually isn't anything serious, but sometimes inflammatory bowel disease and coeliac disease can start in his age. So if his symptoms persists or progress for more than 1 month, or you notice weight loss and any symptoms I have mentioned above, you should visit pediatrician.He should do anal examination and stool analysis as there can be some parasite disease.

The most important thing for home treatment is to prevent dehydratation by giving him at least 1.5L of fluid daily, give him easier food( fruit, vegetables, milk products, probiotics, high fiber food, rice, seeds, dark chocolatte, chamomile tea). He should eat more frequently(5x6 times per day) but smaller meals because it helps for digestion to stabilize.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.