Child has dark, bright red spots on neck and hand. No fever. Concerned

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my 1 yr old daughter three dark, bright, large red spots popped up on her neck late last night while she was sleeping and now she has some on her hand. no fever and they dont seem to be bothering her at all. i have pushed on them & separated the skin to make sure the color disappears, which it does, & she doesnt even react to anything i do to it. They just look scary and concerning tho and seems to be spreading since they just popped up on her hand now. i took pictures.
also ive noticed a change in bowels this past week. last Friday she had a very high fever that came outta no where and lasted all day, it finally broke during the night. later that next afternoon i had to take her to the urgent care twice which resulted in them saying she had a little bit of fluid in her right ear and her right intestine was completely full of air, Dr said she had colic due to cryin from the high fever. she had been doin just fine ever since except her stools weren't the same. she seems more constipated & her stools look more like thick playto. dont know if Its all connected or not but thought you might need the info anyways.
Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query .
According to the description you have provided it seems that your daughter is most probably suffering from a viral infection causing the evanescent rash after causing a bout of fever and upper respiratory congestion and bowel disturbance.
Another possibility is that of an allergic reaction to any medicine ( penicillins or any other antibiotic) or vaccination or any new food item introduced to her recently.However it seems less likely since there is no such history provided by you and the fact that there is no itching associated with it.
I would like to know if there is any history of allergy in the child or your family in the past or you suspect any such exposure recently.

Assuming you have already provided the complete details I would still consider it to be more likely a viral rash as in most viral infections the rash comes after the fever, after a gap of few days and it spreads gradually over 1-2 days and then gradually decreases on its own.
Such a condition though scary to see, is mostly a benign self limiting condition and needs no special treatment . As you mention that the child has no discomfort at present no medications are mandatory . If in case the rash spreads , causes itching , pain or peeling of skin then antihistamine drugs like hydroxyzine or chlorpheniramine may be prescribed by your doctor.If your child develops any new symptom like diarrhoea, cough and breathlessness , bleeding from any site etc then you should consult your urgent care facility promptly for a thorough investigation and starting appropriate treatment both supportive ( analgesics, antihistamine , antidiarrhoeal etc) and definitive ( like antibiotics ,after confirmation of diagnosis by blood tests .)

As of now the condition doesn't seem much worrisome and you may wait and watch for self resolution within 3-5 days. If it worsens or persists beyond , then seek prompt medical consultation .
Meanwhile try to give her plenty of fluids to maintain hydration and avoid any scratching of the rash to prevent scarring.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Follow-up: Child has dark, bright red spots on neck and hand. No fever. Concerned 1 hour later
thank you very much. the urgent care doctor did state she probably had an URI. She has never had an allergic reaction to anything thus far & isnt on any meds. im allergic to demerol & augmenten. both sides of our families have severe seasonal allergies & my husband & step daughter have asthma but other then that nothing else. she did develop of cough when the fever started & still has it but its so been so infrequent & random that im not sure its connected or not. her birthday was yesterday and she did play outside for just a lil bit, she gets very hot very quick so i brought her inside as soon as i noticed her cheeks turning slightly flushed looking. no changes in diet or anything like that, she still eats and drinks as usual does & shes as active as ever, she does seem to tired alt more then usual and nappin one or two times more during the day then she was before. other then that shes playin like normal, happy as can be, and really cant tell shes not feelin good other then the noticeable rash spots & frequent tiredness. now my side of the family does have a history of heart problems. my dad, 2 of my nephews, & myself have all been diagnosed with several heart conditions. my youngest nephew ended up having heart surgery when he was barely a year old for a heart murmur. my dad has had 2 different life threatening heart surgeries, one of which was for his aetrofibulation. he has a pace maker & also sleeps with a c pap machine. i have had to be on a heart monitor 3 different times & take toporol every day. i was diagnosed with a heart murmur, preanxienty disorder, & mitro-valve prolaspe. so dont no if any of that helps but thought id give u whatever info i have that mite help in some way. you can always tell when my daughter is extremely tired and ready to take a nap/go to bed because u can all the sudden hear her breathing even if ur in different room in the house then she is. ive told her Dr bout this many times but they just keep sayin she sounds fine to them. ive been worried bout her breathing since birth but they dont seem to think any of it. she and my 3 yr old daughter both had real bad croupe 3 different times this past winter, we couldn't seem to get it under control & we dont smoke either.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up.
As far as her present symptoms are concerned it does seem most probably a viral infection which is self limiting and nothing to worry about.
As for her heaving or breathing problems I am sure her pediatrician must have auscultated her thoroughly to rule out a murmur or any abnormal heart sounds .
Yes , I agree with you that with such significant family history of heart ailment I would be rather watchful and get a baseline investigational work up like echocardiogram done . However the most common causes for breathing difficulty or heaving in infants are rather respiratory than cardiac . Also considering her father has a history of asthma it would be advisable to watch for any wheeze related to allergic exposure or recurrent upper respiratory infections . If any such association is significant as per your doctors observation he might order further work up or referral to a chest physician for appropriate management .
It's natural for most infants to have disproportionately more respiratory distress even in minor infections so it's not something to worry about . They soon outgrow it as their immunity goes up with age.
As far as you consult her pediatrician for every suspected illness rather than resorting to self medication , you are doing the right thing and need not worry at all.
I do appreciate your concern and efforts as a vigilant parent but as of now you need not worry and wait for self resolution.
If your daughter is growing well , achieving all developmental milestones and regularly being assesed by a doctor as you mention ,there is nothing more to be done or to be concerned of.
So please do not worry and I wish your daughter has a speedy recovery.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Child has dark, bright red spots on neck and hand. No fever. Concerned 3 hours later
thank you very much! u have eased my mind & given me all the answers i needed!! thank you again for your time!
sorry to bother u again but now the 3 large red spots on her neck & face have turned into 5 spots now that are all raised, almost swollen looking & she keeps rubbing the area like its bothering her & shes extremely fussy & having trouble sleeping, which is usually never a problem for her. the spots look alt worse then before.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 9 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes this is the usual course for any rash , it may increase in number and size before reaching a peak and then decreasing gradually. However supportive therapy is indicated if the child is uncomfortable. It includes antihistamine drugs like hydroxyzine or chlorpheniramine in prescription doses( eg syrup atarax ) twice daily .
Also antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen ( Tylenol ) etc may reduce the swelling and pain if any.
Apart from this local application of any zinc based lotion like calamine may provide soothing relief.
For faster recovery make sure she has plentyof fluids and small frequent meals
Within a week she should recover fully , if symptoms further worsen or take longer to recover its best to get a course of antibiotics after a thorough reevaluation by her doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Child has dark, bright red spots on neck and hand. No fever. Concerned 4 hours later
thank you. yes i applied some hydrocortisone cream several times & gave her some tylenol. she was finally able to fall asleep and stayed asleep thru the nite. the spots on her face & neck have decreased in size and color greatly & she looks alt better. thank you again.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 18 hours later
Thanks for the appreciative response.
It's my pleasure to Answer your queries.
Kindly press the accept button in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you and your family good health.