Child has crick in neck and severe headache. Not cured by ibuprofen. What's causing this?

Nov 2013

Hello, both of my sons have a crick in their neck and bad headaches.I've put wet,hot towels on them and gave them ibprofin.Need help they're still hurting. they are 15 and 13. Possible a cold has settled there?
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, let me reassure you that your sons' symptoms do not suggest to any serious brain disease.

As you suspect, the headaches are most likely related to the cold.

You should continue with ibuprofen tablets round the clock (three times daily). In between, you may give them paracetamol tablets if pain is still persistent.

Steam inhalation would also be useful.

If they have sneezing or running nose, antihistamine such as levocetrizine tablets would also be useful.

The symptoms should resolve in a few days and there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist