Child has cranky fever. Report showed high ESR and low RBC. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My sons 18 months old with a cranky feaver on and off. Hes changed in the last few days been wxtreamly stubarn and cranky. Please help. His teport seems normal but has excess esr and low rbc.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need some more details.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the reports you sent. And I need some details about the child health at present.

Is the child having fever at present?

What is the duration if he is having fever now?

Any associated symptoms and their duration?

Peripheral smear and complete urine examination reports are normal.

Complete blood count report is also normal except for high ESR.

RBC count is slightly low and it is not a significant finding. It can be corrected by dietary changes like giving leafy vegetables, jaggery enriched food items in the child regular diet.

ESR is a nonspecific test and it is elevated in many inflammatory and noninflammatory conditions.

ESR elevation is to be interpreted by clinical examination findings and other investigations like chest X XXXXXXX mantoux test to rule out any chronic infection.

Behavior changes like stubbornness, fussiness, and crankiness are common in children around this age group and they are aggravated with illnesses like fever illnesses.

Clinical examination by the pediatrician is to be done to rule out any focus of infection, to look for any clinical findings like lypmhnode enlargement, organs enlargement such as liver and spleen and to order other investigations in the context of elevated ESR.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination of the child and to interpret the reports clinically and to order further investigations depending on his clinical examination.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know along with the details I requested.