Child has coughing with congestion, runny nose, mild fever. Suggest dosage of Promethazine?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi. I need to know the dosage of PROMETHAZINE DM SYRUP, for a 4 year old w/ the weight of 34 lbs?

This medicine was prescribed to her over a year ago and still have some. she's been coughing with a lot of congestion, runny nose, mild fever here and there. her first day of kindergarten is Wednesday and I want her to be good for school.

she's been taking motrin only when needed. last dose of motrin was last night around midnight. she hasn't taken any medicine this morning. I just remembered I had PROMETHAZINE in my medicine box.

Is it okay to give her promethazine dm syrup?
how much every how many hours?
Is this medicine good for what she has right now?
She is 4 yrs old and 34 lbs.
Thank you♥
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is okay to give syrup

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX thanks for the query.
Yes, you can take it for these symptoms just check the expiry date of syrup. It will be helpful for her cough and nasal congestion and less effective for fever.

You can give her ¼ to ½ teaspoonful (1.25 to 2.5 mL) every 4 to 6 hours,
not to exceed 10 mL in 24 hours. Usually it good to take it 3x daily half teaspoon; in the morning, after lunch and before sleep.

If she took motrin more than 8 hours ago then she can start with the first teaspoon of syrup now. If she has any drugs allergies you should consult your doctor first.
Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards