Child has cough, runny nose, fever and rashes on chest. Are these allergy symptoms?

My son 8yrs, has a cough, slight runny nose, post nasel drip I'm sure.( mostly in morning & night) a few weeks ago he had a low grade fever for a few days, I thought it was a cold then i thought allergy related since I suffer from hay fever and we live in a dusty area(desert) out of all my kids(3boys) he gets sick the most and it lasts the longest, he gets tired out quicker during playtime. I am so confused, doctors always just give me antibiotics for him! I forgot to mention he now has a small rash on the center of his chest, no other symptoms than the never ending cough
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 1 hour later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.
You are right.These are symptoms of allergy which are partially genetic and partially environment related.
Use nasal decongestants for nasal drip and an antiallergic like levocetrizine once daily for seven days.
Cough can be dry allergic or it maybe associated with wheeze. Medications can only be adviced after hearing his chest.Please get your child examined by a pediatrician before giving cough medications.
Rash maybe related to allergy.
Consult your doctor if the problem persists.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.