Child has cough, mucous and headache. Given Nasonex, ventolin and augmentin. Fever started. Advise?

Feb 2013

Hi Dear,
I have 4 years old child she is suffering from cough and mucus. Now cough is stopped but she has lots of mucus in her sinuses and too much phlegm. She has phlegm since 2 months. I took her to a doctor and gave her medicine. Cough is stopped but phlegm still is there. Yesterday she was saying that she has a headach and more phlegm. I took her to a doctor he saw too mucus in her sinuses and gave her the followings:

Nasonex 0.05% nasal spray 1 puff a day for 6 weeks
Aerius 0.5 mg Syr 2.5 ml 1 a day for 6 weeks
Ventolin Solin 0.40 ml every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks
Saline 3 ml every 4-6 hours for 2 weeks
Augmentin ES 600 642.5/5ml 4.50 ml 2times a day for 10 days
Hexbio Sachets 3g XXXXXXX 1 Sac a day melted in a milk for one week

I gave her yesterday Nasonex, Aerius and Hexbio XXXXXXX (melted in her milk) but from last night she had a fever and a little cough started again. Please doctor I would like to know if she has to take all these medication? and how can I get red from phlegm?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 27 days later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having a respiratory infection which is associated with formation of phlegm.

I advise you to continue all the medication as advised by the doctor and these will take care in clearing the phlegm.

Nasonex and Aerius are given to decrease the nasal secretions thus decreasing the production of phlegm.

Ventolin solution with saline is prescribed for to relive the cough and mucus associated with wheezing.

Augmentin is an antibiotic to treat the respiratory infection which is the primary cause for these events.

Hexibo XXXXXXX contains probiotic and it is given to protect the gut from antibiotic associated diarrhea.

At present these medication is required and I advise you to continue the medication as advised by your doctor.

For fever you can give paracetamol syrup in prescribed dosage.

If there is no response in child symptoms within 72 hours of antibiotic or symptoms are worsening, consult again the doctor for follow up.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.