Child has cough, fever, runny nose. Taken Meftal and Bricarex. Change in prescription?

My son 2.5 years old is suffering of severe cough and intermittent fever going upto 101degree. He is also having running nose .the coughing is making him weak along with the fever . We are giving him meftal ( 3.5 ml) whenever fever is increasing and bricarex expectorant ( 4 times a day each time 3.5 ml).But last 2 days things haven't improved. He has become weak and having hard time in sleeping due to cough . Pls suggest if things might improve going forward next 24hrs or there need to be a change in prescription. Regards XXXXXXX

Sorry forgot to mention . We are also giving my son advent syrup twice a day(3.5ml).
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Follow-up: Child has cough, fever, runny nose. Taken Meftal and Bricarex. Change in prescription? 6 minutes later
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

As of now I don't think there is any need to change the prescription. Your son is already taking the right medications. Meftal will reduce the fever, bricarex is a type of cough syrup and advent is an antibiotic.

It takes at least 48 hours for an antibiotic to show its effect. So I'm sure after 2 days , his fever should come down, which means the antibiotic is working.So, I'm assuming things might get better in the next day or so. However, the cough can take upto 1-2 weeks to fully clear off from the body.

In the meantime, help your child to do steam inhalation. You along with your child can do this. Please be careful.

Give your son plenty of warm water to drink. Whether it is water, milk, bournvita, give it slightly warm. Warm fluids provide so much relief to the throat and chest.

Try giving your son 1 teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of freshly ground pepper powder twice a day. Might help ease the cough.

If there is persistent fever and bouts of persistent cough, difficulty in breathing, fast breathing, grunting, lethargy, drowsiness, please take your child to the paediatrician immediately.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan