Child has cough and wheezing. What food to give other than breast milk?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is 4 months and 25 days old.He had cough and weaizing once.What food I can start than breast milk.Since i am working.I had gestational diebetics during pregnancy.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
I would like to appreciate you for exclusively breast feeding till now since it is the best gift any mother can give to her baby.The benefits off breastfeeding are innumerable and all over the world it is recommended that exclusive breastfeeding should be continued till the baby completes six months of life.Solids like cereals and fruits should be started after that gradually.
I understand your concern , since once you join work it is difficult for you to give only breast milk throughout the day.Firstly you should try to breastfed your baby at night and whatever time you are home.when you leave for work you can express your breast milk and any care taker can feed the baby that milk within three hours.But if sometimes more milk is needed and you are at work the next best thing to feed is formula milk. So you have to give formulamilk stage 2 of any brand like lactogen or nan etc.available in the stores .Remember that cows milk is best given after one year since it may cause allergy in some babies.
Regarding solids like rice , wheat,pulses, mashed bananas and other canned cereals available in market, they should be gradually started after 6mths mths of age since the babys gut is not able to digest them well before can check out a site called WWW.WWWW.WW for various recepies and details if you still wish to introduce solids, but kindly consult your pediatrician before deciding the same.your gestational diabetes is not likely to have an impact on him now.The complications are more likely to affect baby in newborn period.i.e. First month
As for your babys cough cold and wheeze, it doesn't seem to be related to his diet , again in which
case breast milk is the best option.Always try to consult a pediatrician for babys cough cold early so that a wheeze and other complications can be prevented.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.
Follow-up: Child has cough and wheezing. What food to give other than breast milk? 21 hours later
Thank you for your answer.
Breast milk should be stored in fridge or outside? Should I warm that before giving to the baby?
Thanks for the follow up query .
I appreciate your decision to feed EBM or expressed breast milk.
If you have expressed milk once , adequate enough for one to two feeds given within 3 hours then it can be stored at room temperature and so there is no need for warming.Infact even if you store it in refrigerator not in ice or freezer compartment ,you should not warm it directly only thaw it i.e keep the bottle in a utensil containing preheated warm water for few minutes. Always check the temperature of milk in such case by pouring few drops on the back of your hand.Remember it should be done without touching the container to your skin for hygienic use, also always wash hands before expression and handling the milk.
Also I would advice , you to express at workplace too if feasible , to prevent engorgement and pain in the full breasts.this also helps in maintaining good milk output.
If for any reason you are not able to feed EBM, dont feel guilty or lose hope, because night feedings are the most important for the baby as well as for maintaining enough milk in mother.
So keep up the good work and continue to breastfeed your baby atleast for a year and if feasible till 18 to 24 mths of age.
Wish you all the best.
Follow-up: Child has cough and wheezing. What food to give other than breast milk? 16 hours later
If I am not able to give Expressed milk what else I can give only formula or any other food?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later

Thanks you for the follow up query.

If you are not able to give expressed milk, dont worry you can give formula milk till baby is six months old .After that start with rice dal grinded, or fruits like banana pureed or ragi or cereals mix available in packs at stores, then gradually you can start after a month pureed vegetables and soups and wheat and dairy products.

Hope I have answered your query.