Child has contagious illness. Has a red swirly lines under skin on arms, back, buttocks, legs. Had strep throat

my 6 year old granddaughter has contacted a contagious illness . The symptoms are that she has a mass of red swirly lines and circles (almost resembles little red veins) all under her skin , especially on arms, back, buttocks, legs.She did have it earlier in the week on her face, but it faded. She did have Strep throat 4 weeks ago, was retested for that, and it was negative. Several children in her class has this problem of red lines too.. She went to doctor and they were not sure what it was. They gave her Predisone and a topical cream . It looks pretty nasty. She acts alright. It sometimes itches but no bumps at all or hives, just these horrible little red circular and swirly lines in a big mass, under surface of skin. What does it sound like?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Considering the details of what you describe and the contagious nature of the lesions, experienced by most of the child s classmates, its very reasonable to think of an infectious process.

Prednisolone to me will hardly be very appropriate at this point in time. Considering the fact that lesions have not been improving on treatment, and also the characteristics make this drug, under these circumstances not very appropriate.

I suggest this should be a fungal infection that s spreading. The presentation of the lesions are actually very peculiar is skin fungal infections (dermatophytes).

It would be rare that it should be a bacterial infection, this would have been certainly accompanied by a greater degree of inflammation, fever and much pain.

Viral infections could also present as such.

I suggest taking an appointment with a dermatologist for a proper clinical evaluation. Topical antifungal drugs could be used for now as you wait for an appointment with your dermatologist.

Thanks and best regards. Feel free asking further questions if need be,

Dr Luchuo, MD.