Child has constipation, passes very tight motion and tries hard to push it. Suggest?

My son is 10 months old, usually when he goes for motion, it is very tight and he tries his maximum to push it.We give adequate amount of water, please advise if anything has to be done
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 16 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

Constipation is a common pronlem in infants and most commonly it is diet related.

Hypothyroidism and fissures need to be ruled out.

I suggest you to do following things:
-continue giving him plenty of fluids.
-give boiled green leafy vegetables like spinach
-give fruits especially papaya..
-give cereals and decrease amount of milk intake.
-give honey with warm water first thing in morning.
-give sitz bath that is make him sit in tub of warm water for 10 to 15 minutes 2 to 3 times a day.

In case problem persist he may need some laxative like lactulose for few days.after consulting your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query,in case you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your baby good health.

God bless...