Child has constipation, blood in stools. Should he have a colonoscopy?

Question
Hi , My son is 2 years 10 months old, and is scheduled for a colonoscopy this week. He has suffered with constipation since he was only months old. he has spent over a year on laxatives until i changed hims diet over to goats milk (he still drinks atleast 3 bottles a day). His stools became normal for about three months. Then i changed his diet to more solid foods and his stools became harder on occassions once again. At the end of May , his stool was covered in fresh red blood, then a month after i saw blood again. This time, he was sick and his stools started to soften, when i looked in the bowel there was fresh blood splurted over the toilet and it looked like a clot at the end of one stool. mid july i saw fresh blood again when i wiped his bottom. Should I go through with the procedure. I am really worried about the anasthetic and putting him through the whole thing when i am thinking it could most likely be a fissure.
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The most likely cause of bleeding with stools is likely to be due to rectal fissures. But there are many other causes of rectal bleeding, including colon cancer, colon polyps, colitis, and diverticulitis.
All these need to be ruled out after a proper examination and colonoscopy so that proper treatment can be initiated early.
Please do not worry and go ahead with the investigation as advised to you by your doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Child has constipation, blood in stools. Should he have a colonoscopy? 4 hours later
Thank you for your answer. I am really worried about the anasthetic, actuallly i am having nightmares about it. Should i be

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Anaesthesia is a safe procedure and for such diagnostic purposes, only a short anaesthesia is administered. Please do not worry. Your son is a healthy child and he should have no difficulty in having anaesthesia.
Hope my answer is helpful. Further queries are welcome.
Wishing your son a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Child has constipation, blood in stools. Should he have a colonoscopy? 3 hours later
Thanks again. One last question, he has a blocked nose and i am giving him decongestant spray plus rhinathiol red medicine which helpd break down the mucus. His surgery is scheduled for Thursday, can I continue with his medicines for the next few days.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 hours later
Yes. you can continue these medicines till Wednesday. Giving him steam inhalation will also be helpful.
Regards.