Child has cold, cough, wheezing. Taking inhaler regularly. Family history of asthma. Safe?

I live in New Delhi (India). I have 2.5 yr old son. he gets cold and cough frequently along with wheezing especially at the time of season change. In between the season change he remains fine for may be 2-3 months.His problem started at age of 6 months. Until now his doctor used to prescribe him Maxtra syrup, Omnocortil syrup if wheezing was there and nebulizer with 0.63 mg levolin. He also kept him on singular 4 mg for 2 months. Now he says that as his problem is frequent, he is advising inhaler for two months as a trial. I'm worried that is inhaler safe at such a small age and will he get a habit of it and have to take inhaler forever. Is there any other option that will cure his allergy rather than just treating the symptoms with inhalers and nebulisers and other medicine. Please advice.
Also he has problem of constipation. constipation started at age of 1 year when we put him on bottle, cow's milk. He's on Riliz/Looz syrup for constipation daily 10 mg. Please suggest on this also.
family history --- My father-in-law is asthamatic and my husband is also allergic

My email id is: YYYY@YYYY and YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 13 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your dilemma and would address your following concerns:
1. Repeated upper respiratory tract infection.
2. Use of nebulizer.
3. Constipation.

It is very common for children in the age group of 1 year to 5-6 years to have repeated attacks of upper respiratory tract infection. This is because they are developing their immunity. Hence you need not get disturbed for this problem.

Since there is a family history of asthma the chances of your son having it increase. However it is not definite. If the paediatrician is observing that he has wheezing then only he is advising the bronchodilator medications. In fact by giving the medicines by inhalers/nebulizers one is giving very minute doses compared to oral medication. Hence, you need not worry on this count.

Top milk does cause constipation. As milk has to be given constipation needs to be handled by nutrition rather than medication. I would suggest that you introduce diet containing more roughage and reduce his milk intake to correct constipation. You may like to visit this article on constipation
which details about high fibre diet.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or if you would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
Follow-up: Child has cold, cough, wheezing. Taking inhaler regularly. Family history of asthma. Safe? 2 hours later
Hello Doctor,
Thanks for your reply. So you are suggesting that we should give him the inhaler. Can you please tell me in detail what type of inhaler would be fine for him.

As the doctor has suggested to put him on inhaler for two months as a trial, if after this his problem continues, would we have to give the inhaler for long time?
I'm concerned that we nebulize him on SOS say for 10 days when he has the problem on season change, and then between that say for 2 months when he's fine we don't give any nebulizer or medicine but inhaler wud be given continuously for two months or even longer. Would giving inhaler for long time not interfere with his immunity developing process ?

I don't want to put my child on extreme medicines.

Please suggest. Your advice is very valuable to me.

Thanks in advance.
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for the post.

I mentioned in my reply that nebulizer gives lesser dose of medicine than what is given orally. Hence nebulized medicine is more safe than oral medicine.

As I have not examined the child it is very difficult to say which medicine to be given by nebulization.

Allergic phenomenon is usually seasonal and hence you have to give the medicine according to the condition of the child. The treating doctor is the best person to guide you on this.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.