Child has cold and running nose. Unable to take vapor. Suggest solution

Hi Doctor,

My son is 1 year old. He got cold with running nose and he is breathing through his nose.
Please suggest any solution. I tried water vapor but he is unable to take it as he is afraid.

Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

I do understand that it is difficult for infants to take steam inhalation. You can try using Nasivion or Otrivin nasal drops in both his nostrils, 2 drops thrice a day for the next 2 days. Both are available over the counter in most pharmacies. This will relieve any nasal blockade due to the cold. Meanwhile, continue to give him his current medications as they help him in faster recovery.

Please keep him warm and covered with warm clothes. He shall be fine soon.

Do let me know if you have more concerns.

I wish your son quick recovery.