Child has cold and cough, given Lasma -Lc and asthalin nebulization for wheezing. On TB medicine. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Hello sir,
my child has frequent cold and cough.Doctor told that he is allergic and he is on Lasma -Lc kid and if he is wheezing, asthalin nebulization is given. Last month he had sever wheezing and we took chest x-ray ,mantoux skin test and blood test. Mantoux test is significant and rest all are normal..So he is on t.b medication for latent t.b from last 4 weeks ( 6 months protocol).Now he is coughing...so is it safe to go for nebulization? Is wheezing common in children?Really need help....

Thanks in advance...
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nebulize if there is wheeze, common in asthmatics

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the child history.

Nebulization with asthalin is indicated in cough with associated wheezing due to narrowing of small airways.

Nebulization can be safely given to the child if he is having cough with wheezing and there will be no problem if the child is on antituberculous treatment for latent tuberculosis.

Wheezing is common in children with underlying hyper reactive airway problems such as bronchial asthma and requires nebulization or inhalation with bronchodilator such as asthalin.

And the child needs physical examination including auscultation of lungs by the doctor to listen for wheezing and to prescribe nebulization and a cough medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has cold and cough, given Lasma -Lc and asthalin nebulization for wheezing. On TB medicine. Suggest? 34 minutes later
Hello sir,
Thank u for the quick reply.My child gets this problem very frequently almost once in a month.Generally how long it will take for a child to get cured from this if this is only due to allergy and his weight is 16-16.8( approx)..is it ok?

thanks in advance...

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regular follow up; Weight is in normal range.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

Frequent cold, cough is common in children below the age of 6 years because of frequent exposure to pathogens and low immunity.

But if the child is getting frequent cold, cough with wheezing requiring frequent nebulization with bronchodilator, it is suggestive of a underlying hyper reactive airway disease such as bronchial asthma.

Do any your family member have the history of asthma, atopic dermatitis, allergic rhinitis, or food allergy?

If the child is having recurrent wheezing, he may require nebulization with steroid as a control therapy in addition to Asthalin nebulization to keep the control of wheezing episodes.

This wheezing episodes frequency may decrease in children as the age grows, usually after 6-7 years.

A regular follow up and symptoms oriented protocol of inhalation with Asthalin and steroid will give a good control of these symptoms.

And prevention is always better than cure, so avoid the exposure of the child to known allergens such as cold air, sprays, perfumes, pollution, smoke, known food allergens, dust, and people with cold and cough.

Coming to his present weight, it is in normal range as per the growth charts and nothing to worry.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has cold and cough, given Lasma -Lc and asthalin nebulization for wheezing. On TB medicine. Suggest? 10 hours later
Hello sir,

thank u for the reply...

no other family member on both the sides( maternal and paternal) have allergies...

Ur answer is very helpful..

thank u

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back and your appreciation.

Best regards.