Child has cold and cough frequently. Is Montair safe?

Greetings Doctor. My son age 5 years, 3.6 inches height, 16.4 kgs weight has being having cold and cough quite frequently. Our family doctor had recommended Montair LC for kids for 13 days and then he was fine for 1 month but again he got cold and cough. During our visit to the doctor he has again asked to give Montair 4mg. Please let me know if this medicine is safe and is the right recommendation.
Just for information he had past history of febrile convulsion.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 17 minutes later
After going through your query, I would like to make the following comments:

1. Your son seems to be suffering from allergic rhinitis with Upper airway cough syndrome (UACS) and there is also a possibility of childhood asthma.

2. Montair LC kid is for rhinitis. Side effects of monteleukast, which is the active ingredient in Montair LC and Montair, are uncommon but can include mental/mood changes (such as agitation, aggression, trouble sleeping, abnormal dreams, etc.
3. Regarding the query whether it is the right treatment or not, I would suggest the following:
a. Get him examined by a pulmonologist/ chest physician.
b. If possible get his Pulmonary function tests (PFTs) / PEFR (peak expiratory flow rate) done under the supervision of a pulmonologist.
c. Topical nasal spray containing azelastine and fluticasone may be given to him under prescription from pulmonologist.
d. Only after completing a clinical examination and a PFT, the need of oral / inhaled bronchodilator medications can be assessed. Oral inhaler sprays will help in controlling the symptoms quickly.
e. Investigations in the form of complete blood count, Serum immunoglobulin E (IgE ) levels, Chest X XXXXXXX are required.
f. If he has associated fever or purulent expectoration, then antibiotics can be taken under prescription of your physician.
g. Avoid cold climate, dust exposure, etc
Thus you need to get him evaluated by a pulmonologist / chest physician.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer any follow up queries.

Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra