Child has cold and blocked nose, couging. Taken Corex and Ventorlin. Is medication safe?

hi,my daughter is 4 years old.she suffering from cold and blocked nose from past 2 days and from yesterday night she has started coughing.she had the same problem 6 months back and she was given corex syrup and ventorlin syrup.but i dont remember what was the dosage and is it safe that i contiue the same medication.
Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 53 minutes later

Thanks for writing in,

It seems that your daughter is having recurrent attack of viral flu infection. This requires symptomatic treatment and within 2-3 days one becomes alright.

Give her decongestant syrup like D-cold, Wikoryl or Dristan which are available on the chemist counter without prescription.

Syrups like Corex or Ventorlin is generally given at a dose of 2.5 ml twice or thrice a day for 2-3 days. Please consult a dermatologist and he shall confirm the exact dose of this syrup based on her current clinical condition and her current weight. The dose given 6 months ago is based on the symptoms she had during that time and the weight. It would not be sufficient now.

Avoid exposure to cold, dust, smoke, etc.

Hope I clarified your doubts. If you have further query or clarification, please ask; I will be happy to help.

Wish her a speedy recovery

Follow-up: Child has cold and blocked nose, couging. Taken Corex and Ventorlin. Is medication safe? 2 hours later
can corex and ventorlin syrup be given at a time or any one.she had cough and cold around two weeks back and i gave her only corex but doctor had prescribed her both 6 months back.or is it better i consult a doctor directly or its nothing to worry about.the climate in hyd is rainy and cold.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 28 minutes later
Thanks for write back.
As such both syrups to be avoided as ventorlin syrup is to be given when there is wheezing type of cough which is common in asthmatic bronchitis.
And corex contains codeine so it should be avoided.
Give her Wikoryl or Dristan or other similar syrup which can be given for symptomatic treatment.
Give 2.5 ml 2-3 times a day.
I answered your query,if you do not have further query or clarification,you can close the discussion and rate the answer.