Child has chest congestion, blocked nose. Took antibiotic and montair. Side effect of its prolonged use?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear Sir's
My child has been taking montair 10 for the past 2 years . It has been helping him to a certain extent but what concerns me is the side effect of it s prolonged usage . Every 2/3 months he gets into a bad chest congestion hoarse chest burning cough and nose block which needs to be treated with antibiotics . Please advice about montair
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Montelukast sdium (Montair) is a useful and well tolerated medication in children.

2. I would recommend only 4 mg or 5 mg per day as a maintenance dose since he is only 11 years old.

3. Do not discontinue the drug abruptly. It may be tapered down.

4. It has it's share of side effects, some paradoxical like cough and running / blocked nose and so on.

5. Most normal children also tend to have two to three episodes of URTI (doctor.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Child has chest congestion, blocked nose. Took antibiotic and montair. Side effect of its prolonged use? 14 hours later
Dr Sahab
My concern about montair also concerns my child getting tinitus (ringing in ear) . Although montair is helping but it has caused tinitus in him it seem s . His complain is he can hear a continous whislting sound in his ear especially when he cups it ! i had gone for tympanometry and his ear pressure vary vastly from 105 in left and 27 in right . This whistling started after a bomb in diwali festival bursted very close to him which i thought would go away eventually but it has lessened but not gone !!
Thank You

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Montelukast does not usually cause tinnitus.

2. The damage to the ear due to the diwali cracker is a more likely cause for tinnitus.

3. Is his PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) normal? Does he have any hearing loss? Are his eardrums normal?

4. Are these Tympanometry pressures neagtive or positive? Can you upload the Tympanometry Graph / Recording?

5. If you can provide these reports, further treatment options may be discussed.

Regards.