Child has chapped lips and rash-like bumps above lips that are not itchy or painful. Gums and mouth look normal.

my 10 yr old son has had chapped lips within the past few weeks. Yesterday I noticed dark "mustache looking line" above lips. There are no rash like bumps nor is it itchy/painful. gums/inside mouth also looks normal.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 7 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Chapping of the lips would most commonly result from extreme cold weather in children. Try emollients like moisturizers and cold creams. Keep them covered from cold air.

Dark line above lips is unusual in male children and common in adult females. It is certainly due to increased melanin pigmentation. But, the cause needs tests and examinations. You will have to get him reviewed with a dermatologist in person. Hormonal changes are responsible and not necessarily mean a serious condition. Mostly left alone, it is self limiting if the examining doctor thinks so.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.