Child has calf pain, cold, foot drop. Diagnosed as myositis. Could this still be viral?

Girl 11 years old. Had calf pains for months, diagnosed as growing pains. Also had recent very bad cold. Foot drop for 11 days with calf pain. CK was 500+, 200+ on 2nd XXXXXXX Diagnosed as myositis. Seen by orthopaedics who said not an ortho problem. Referred to paediatrics and have not heard from them yet. Have contacted GP to expedite the process. Could this still be viral or shall I consider a private consultation? She is still in pain and still has problems walking
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 5 hours later

Thanks for the query

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the delayed motor milestones (walk), episodic calf pains and foot drop with elevation CPK possibility of muscle disease needs consideration. Viral infections can cause myositis and elevated enzymes. However other features cannot be explained.

However to me it probably looks long standing muscle disease aggravated by the viral infection. We need further tests to confirm the nature of the muscle disease. EMG and if required muscle biopsy may be required if the suspicion of myopathy is true.

For now, I recommend physiotherpy and aspirin for the muscle pains. In the mean time please schedule visit with your Pediatric Neurologist for a good physical exam and further evaluation. This will help give you the reassurance you need regarding the muscle disease in your child.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist