Child has bumped forehead but is normal. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2013

My granddaughter is 11.5 months and has bumped her forehead , big bump but playing happy drinking eating should I be concerned
Posted Wed, 28 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Bumping on her forehead is due to collection of blood in the scalp layers and it gradually subsides.

As she is happily playing, eating and drinking at present, nothing to worry.

But closely observe her for next 24 hours for the following abnormal symptoms and signs which are suggestive of traumatic brain injury and report to emergency if you find any abnormality in the child.

4.Loss of consciousness or abnormal or altered behavior.

5.Bleeding from nose and ears.

6.Decreased or paucity of movements in limbs.

7.Any difference in the pupils size.

Observe her closely and if you find any above concerning feature, report to emergency immediately.

For pain, you can give Tylenol in prescribed dose.

Consult the pediatrician for the physical examination of the bump and to examine the child for any abnormal neurological signs.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.