Child has bruises on back, swelling. May be a blood disorder. Is there any explanation?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter, 3 years of age, woke up the other morning with half dollars coin size bruises in her back, (there were over a dozen) mostly on the left side of her back. The bruises appeared to mesh together in a few hours, then swell a little, then eventually went away. The three days latter she had a bruise on her back, and within one hour it was gone. This morning another appears and then within an hour it was gone. She had 11 vials of blood taken, and I have not heard anything yet, but I am worried. Her doctor mentioned that is could be a blood disorder. I know I am not supposed to search the web for answers, but I need to know something. Is there an explaination for this?
The family has not introduced any new foods or cleaners.
Posted Sat, 21 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Considering the details you have provided your child does seem to have ecchymosis or spontaneous bruises which could either be allergic or due to an underlying bleeding disorder. The fact that she has frequent nosebleeds and that no known allergen exposure ( medicine, food or chemical) has occured , makes the probability of an underlying bleeding disorder more probable.
Please do not panic as nothing conclusively can be said before knowing the results of blood tests. Occasionally in case of mild bleeding disorders like vitamin K deficiency etc treatment can be effective in preventing further bleeding.
Some bleeding disorders just need preventive measures like avoidance of strenuous activity ,nutritional supplementation etc.

The explanation for such bleeding from small blood vessels under skin or mucosa which start bleeding even with minimal or no trauma is either a defect in bleeding or clotting mechanism ( genetically deficient factors )
But in your child since there is a known allergy to drugs( amoxicillin ) , you should not jump to any conclusions before proven as it could turn out to be allergy induced rather than anything serious.

Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing your child a speedy recovery.