Ask a Dentist   »  

Child has bruise on roof of mouth. Could sucking fingers be the cause of this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 4 year-old daughter recently went to the dentist to get her teeth cleaned and the dentist noticed she had a bruise on the roof of her mouth. What could be the cause of this? She doesn't remember hitting her mouth and I don't remember. It's been a couple of weeks and it hasn't changed. She does suck her fingers and has since she was 6 months. Could this be the cause of this?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
A bruise on the roof of the mouth cannot be due to sucking her fingers. The most likely cause is trauma only which she might have forgotten. The trauma might have happened by the growing nails of her fingers also.
Once a bruise appears it takes upto 3 weeks to disappear completely. This duration varies with the size of the bruise.
The other causes of spontaneous appearance of bruise also need to be ruled out like bleeding disorders. You need to consult your pediatrician to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out after proper examination and necessary investigations.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
In case you find my answers satisfactory, please do click on accept button.

Follow-up: Child has bruise on roof of mouth. Could sucking fingers be the cause of this? 2 hours later
What would be your first step in figuring out what the possible cause for the bruise? To wait and observe the bruise or do blood work?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Right now, you can wait and do a self monitoring of the color changes of the bruise. Also be vigilant regarding appearance of any fresh bruises on any other part of her body.

If fresh bruises appear or the present bruise enlarges in size or becomes purple in color, then you need to rush for a blood work and detailed investigations.

Hope my answer is helpful.