Child has brown spot on index finger, not exposed to chemicals or dyes. No allergies. What do I do?

Hello my daughter is 4 years old almost 5 in two months. About three weeks a ago a light browninsh in color spot showed up on top side of hand on index finger and another on the skin between thumb and index finger. almost looks like a stainbut has been there for long time and wont fade or wash away. she was not exposed to any chemicals or dyes.And one week ago on other hand a smaller XXXXXXX e color spot appeared on knuckle area of left hand now. what do i do?? little owrries. my daughter is half caucasion and half mexican but light colored skin. these are not mongolian spots and just appeared over night and have been there for over 3 weeks and one new one one week ago. she does have rad so alleriges seasons bad for her she has had fever once or twice this month and threw uo mucus once but related to her allergies so dont think its all related.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

The image you attached here shows what I consider it be a Café au lait spot.Usually these spots are seen at birth sometimes also develop in first 5 to 7 years of life.

These spots are considered as indication of inherited or congenital birth defects which could be enzymatic, hormonal, neuronal etc. There are many such disease which present with Café au lait spot on the skin during birth or later in life.

They are associated with conditions like :

Neurofibromatosis type I
Tuberous sclerosis
Ataxia telangiectasia
Basal cell nevus syndrome
Benign congenital skin lesion
Congenital naevus
Gaucher disease etc..

Café au lait spot are also seen in normal children , where they disappear in few weeks.

Presence of two to three spots is not significant.Having six or more café au lait spots greater than 5 mm in diameter before puberty, or greater than 15 mm in diameter after puberty is a criteria to consider the child for further investigations to find the exact underlying disease.Hence, strict observation has to be kept on such spots .Most may disappear in weeks on their own but some persist for years without harm and rarely some may show secondary changes like redness , growth etc in which case they could be associated with serious disease.

I would suggest you to get her examined by a paediatrician . I would not say emergency but its essential for her to be examined to predict any impending spots in near future.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.