Child has bowel movement issues. Passing stool at night. No idea how to help him.

My son has always had an issue with bowel movments. At first it started as constipation and as of the past few months it has become a situation that he was been messing himself at night. There is no diarreha. It is all out messing. Its frusteration for all of us because he is 8 years old. He wakes up covered every morning and I have no idea how to help him.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 53 minutes later
Passing of stool at night in bed at 8 years of age is distressing. Sometimes child passes stool while passing gas and usually such a stool is thin in consistency. This can be related to eating late, overeating or eating foods known to cause gas and indigestion.
You can consult his pediatrician to rule out the organic causes of stool incontinence and to examine the anal tone.
Some measures that can help this problem are-
* Don't let him eat late. Wait at least three to four hours after the last meal before going to bed.
* Take an anti-diarrheal medication before going to bed like lomotil after consulting his pediatrician.
* Eat binding foods at dinner and avoid those foods that tend to cause gas and indigestion.
* Don't let him overeat at dinner.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.