Child has boils on back that started itching and spreading from neck to shoulder. Suggest?

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,

My son is 3.5 year old and we observe some sort of boils on his back from 2 days. He started feeling the ich only from today mnorning. Also, when we observed it the boils have increased 4 to 8to9. It is spread from the down portion of his neck to the right shoulder. Could you help us understand what this could be what steps we need to take for this skin problem.
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
looks like bacterial or viral.calamine application

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The boils on his back on neck and shoulder could be due to infections.

Chicken pox will present with boils filled with clear fluid initially and later they will be cloudy and then transforms into bloody crusted lesions. Thes lesions usually associated with itching and there may be fever.

Another possibility is bacterial skin infection such as impetigo. In this the lesions present as vesicles and they are contagious means they will spread to other parts of body and to other persons through the contact with fluid.

For itching, you can apply a plain calamine containing lotion externally ove the skin boils thrice daily for soothing effect on skin. An oral antihistamine such as cetrizine or hydroxyzine can be given in prescribed dose if the itching is intense.

Trim her nails and clean them as a measure to prevent scratching of the lesions and to prevent secondary bacterial infection of the skin leisons.

Maintain strict hands hygiene by washing her hands to prevent the spread of infection tp other parts of body and to others if it is due to some bacterial infection.

And I advise you to consult the pediatrician for clinical examination to diagnose the skin condition and to advise specific management.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.