Child has body itching, scabs on face and back. What could be causing this?

Dermatologist
Question
my daughter has had the all over body itches for about a week now, noticed some little scabs on her face last week and now a few on her upper back. Any idea what could be causing this? is a trip to the pedi necessary?
Posted Thu, 6 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 3 hours later
There could be many causes for such kind of itchy lesions in your child like scabies, insect bite induced papular urticaria, eczema, urticaria, drug induced,lichen planus etc.
Kindly upload an image of the concerned area. This would help me in suggesting you most probable diagnosis and treatment.

Hoping to hear from you soon. Take care

Follow-up: Child has body itching, scabs on face and back. What could be causing this? 20 hours later
thanks for answering, took her to a dermatologist today and its scabies......glad we found out

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
As the diagnosis has already been confirmed, I would stress on the treatment.
Treatment requires application of permethrin cream single overnight application followed by bathing properly in morning. Though the mite resides in superficial layer of skin, its still advised to wash clothes, towels and linen in hot boiling water and to dried in sunlight or dryer. Also the whole family should undergo treatment to prevent further spread and recurrence.
As lesions itch intake of oral antihistamines like cetirizine helps and should be continued along with mild topical steroid cream till itching persists.

Hope this answers your query.
Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.
Should there be no more question, you may close the discussion and rate/ review the query.

Follow-up: Child has body itching, scabs on face and back. What could be causing this? 1 hour later
is permethrin creme over the counter? they gave us all Ivermectin, should we still get the permethrin too? what are your thoughts?

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 13 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
Scabies can be treated effectively with ivermectin too. In India, we prefer permethrin that is why I had mentioned the same. The important thing is that the whole family( those who are residing in the same house) should undergo treatment even if asymptomatic. I would advise that you follow your doctor's prescription.