Child has bluish vein on the back of leg. Should I be concerned?

My son is 3 - he is perfectly healthy,active, average height and weight. He has a very prominant vein - not bulging by any means, but bluish vein on the back of his leg that I am concerned about. I was concerned that this may be a varicose vein but I have been told that children this age do not get variscose veins...thoughts?
I have been told that children's skin is thin so the vein could be lying close to the surface of the skin, is it possible that as my son grows and his skin thickens that the vein could "disappear XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 1 hour later

What you have been told is absolutely right. Infants not usually gets varicose vein, except a very rare condition known as Kippel Trenaunay Syndrome where the infants get varicose vein portwine stain and hypertrophy of one limb.

I think it is more likely the vein is close to the skin. Further peoples who are extremely fair complexion may present with blue veins. I think this will disappear in course of time. You can consult Paeditrician or Dermatologist if you are concerned; but I don't think it is necessary.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if you get any other query.

Kindest regards