Child has blocked nose, breathing through mouth, taking Nasonex. Diagnosed as allergy

helo sir, my 2 year old daughter have constant blocked nose from about 2 months now, i feel she constantly have some mucous which is the cause of nasal congestion. I am giving her Nasonex from 3 weeks, in vain. Her Paed told me that she has allergy to something and she doesnot seem to have any other problem. Today he prescribed Singulair too. She is otherwise healthy without any other symptoms but she always keep on breathing from mouth which make me feel miserable. Please help
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later

It is possible that your daughter has enlarged adenoids (since you said she's always breathing through her mouth) or a deviated nasal septum.
Adenoids are tonsils which are normally found at the end of nasal cavity. They are frequently enlarged in children and may require surgical removal in some.

A deviated nasal septum refers to a condition where the nasal septum (the bone between the 2 sides of the nose) is deviated to one side and this leads to a blocked nose.

These conditions do not respond to typical drugs and require a specialist ENT examination.

I would suggest that you get her examined by an ENT specialist who can rule out these conditions.

We can then discuss the treatment on this forum.

Follow-up: Child has blocked nose, breathing through mouth, taking Nasonex. Diagnosed as allergy 4 hours later
Dear Maam

Her Ped already have ruled out adenoids as well as deviated septum, and has put her on Singulair which i m little bit sceptic in giving, her only problem is a congested other symptoms
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 11 hours later

Thanks for getting back.

Your daughter seems to be allergic to something. Although allergies are often difficult to treat, the following may help:

a. Change the pillow cases every night.
b. Keep your house absolutely clean.
c. Open the windows and allow cross ventilation to take place.
d. Try and identify if anything like dust, pollen or anything increases her symptoms. Try and eliminate that.
e. Steam inhalation often helps. Take a hot plate and put a pan of water to boil on it. It helps keep the air humid and reduces the symptoms of allergies.

Hope this helps.